reducing my frequency

Monday, February 23, 2015

In the midst of a difficult winter, I look for signs. Or, I read the signs newly. Collisions. Rejections. Reversals. Silence. Extended cold fronts. Impossible expectations. An unanswered rapping on that door, this door, that door, too.

One can either walk the same line, ducking and swerving and hoping, or choose another path.

Why not choose another path? Focus brightly on the new, rather than darkly on all of that which might have, perhaps even should have, gone another way.

I'm making changes. I'm going to spend more time in the kitchen, say, and less time at the computer. I'm going to fill my own imagination with the possibilities of olive oil cakes and double roasted chickens. I'm going to take more walks beside more friends. I'm going to read more so that I can teach better. I'm going to write less, am already writing far less. I'm going to buy only those books I actually wanted to buy and when even those books aren't the books I'd hoped they'd be, I'm going to set them aside.

Life is too short.

Finally, I'm going to show up here less often, perhaps just twice a week, perhaps Mondays and Thursdays, to talk about books and life and the lessons of teaching.

It's a privilege, being out in the world with you. I'm going to work against overstaying my welcome.

15 comments:

Beth F said...

I so understand this. Enjoy.

Barbara said...

I enjoy your thoughtful posts. However I agree with you that life is short. Savor each previous moment.

Melissa Sarno said...

As sad (sad sad) as I am to read there will be less Beth here, my favorite place on the internet, I understand and feel the same about being more present in our own lives. Live it up Kephart. And. Cake! : )

Lisa Romeo said...

I wrote a very similar post myself about a year ago, so completely understand. Enjoy, savor, breathe!

Becca said...

A wise and thoughtful decision. I think many of us who have been at this blogging thing for a while are beginning to feel that "less" might actually mean "more"...

A.S. King said...

More time. More time. More time. You need this, Kephart. xo

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a good balance. I wish you were closer so we could have a walk!

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Enjoy, lovely one. The kitchen and a walk -- to wonderful choices.

Liviania said...

Enjoy. We all need to step back from the internet at times.

Jeannine Atkins said...

A little change is always good. Happily for all of us, you will be you wherever you are. Take time!

scmorgan said...

Yours (out of hundreds I subscribe to) is one of a handful that I click on each time I see a new post. I'll have to get my "Kephart fix" less often, but it's a wise decision.

Katrina said...

Dearest B, Much as I admire your work, your scope, your nothing-short-of-amazing ability to think more, write more, and get more accomplished than anyone I know, I admire even more your choice for less of all of that. You know where the joy is. And your compass hasn't failed you yet. Blessings my dear friend.

Cleo from Jersey said...

I'll look forward to those two days each week when your words spark a thought, an action, or simply, a discovery.

Sarah Laurence said...

As much as I enjoy your posts, this is good news. As you know, I'm happy blogging only once a week. This year I had to cut my time in front of the computer for health reasons and my productivity has risen. Even my eyesight has improved. There is something to be said about living life and not just recording it. Enjoy that time offline!

Unknown said...

You're my inspiration! I want to do the same (as soon as the conference is over . . . :).

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP